Wednesday 7 October 2009

Anime Update

(All images are from Google, I don't own them)

Currently I am struggling my way through a pile of anime. Why do I feel I have to do this? Well honestly, I hate feeling like a "n00b" (is what they call me) because everything I'm watching is pretty old.

My whole life I've been behind on TV shows, gadgets, the latest fads, either because I had no money, or (let's face it people) I had a life to live. I didn't discover anime until Pokemon (although I watched Princess Knight as a toddler and own an anime version of The Wizard of Oz), and even then I had to ask my mum to tape it off CBBC for me, because I was too busy playing outside.

Sadly, I no longer play outside. Although I'm not constantly sitting indoors watching anime or the latest american sitcom, I still feel an obligation to catch up with those who are. So you may have already watched these animes, but I'm going to review them anyway:

Elfen Lied: I got about halfway through episode ten last night, before I realised how late it was. How twisted is this show? Answer: very dark, almost shocking to watch. I'd never thought I'd say that about a cartoon (yes, it is a cartoon, it's just Japanese). I think it was episode nine with the puppy, but I spent about ten minutes with my mouth hanging open. And then there was Mayu's back story. First time I've ever seen that in an anime. Nevertheless, I am enjoying the series, despite the fact that Nana, Mayu and "Nyu" all have the same generic, squeaky anime-girl voice. Thank you America, your dubbing skills haven't failed to make Moe characters annoy me yet (notable exception: Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh). Edit: Also, how beautiful is the song "Lilium"?

Umi Monogatari (aka Sea Story): Well, this is an odd one for me, because the insane cuteness of it and bright colours would normally put me off. But it's about Mermaids (kinda) and anybody who knows me, knows I love Mermaids, and stories about the sea. I'd compare it to Card Captor Sakura, without some of the humor; Fruits Basket, without the romance; but there's no doubt it's beautiful, and keeps me watching. The simple premise is that Marin and Urin, two girls from the Ocean, come to the surface to return a ring to Kanon-chan, a dark and moody girl who has been jilted by love. Add a talking sea-turtle and an evil force known as Sedna, and you've got a strange fantasy/sisterly-bonding story. Well, I'm enjoying it anyway.

Gurren Lagann: I still can't pronounce this one right, but I think it's Guh-rahn Log-on. Anyway, this is surprisingly good. I say surprisingly, because I tend to find Mecha incredibly boring (with the exception of Tranformers). I wont go into detail, because most people will know this anime by now, it's pretty huge in Japan and America. But I enjoy the brotherly bond between Kamina and little brother Simon. Kamina is probably my favourite character with his brash, determined attitude, but for once the half-naked female, Yoko, doesn't irk me, despite numerous pantie-shots and boob-jokes. I am only on episode four, but I have high-hopes for this one. It feels like a mash between Trigun and Fullmetal Alchemist and (funnily enough) Power Rangers. And it was made by the guys who did Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi. So what could possibly go wrong?

Ranma 1/2: So I'm about twenty years behind on this one, so what? I've seen two episodes and I love it. But it's clearly written by a women, by how nonchalantly the female characters wander around displaying their breasts (see also: Chobits by CLAMP). The characters are adorably drawn, the humor is spot on, and the animation is old-fashioned, jerky and well, eighties, but it only serves to make me love it all the more. For those who don't know (and there will be a few, mainly those emo girls who watch Naruto and Death Note thinking they're the only animes worth watching. Idiots) Ranma 1/2 tells the story of Ranma and his father, two men with a problem. When they are doused in cold water Ranma becomes a girl and his father becomes a giant Panda. To make matters worse, Ranma is engaged to a fiesty girl called Akane, and they don't get on. Cue hilarious and awkward shoujo moments and a lot of billowing Sakura blossoms.

Yakitate! Japan: Thanks to Mark Wilkins for mentioning this on my Facebook status. As you do, I looked up the character he referenced and discovered Yakitate! Japan. And then Kairi explained to me that Yakitate! Japan is a pun, because the series is basically about a boy trying to bake a national bread for Japan. Pan means bread, so the title pretty much means Baking Japanese Bread. Anyway, I watched the first minute of it before the opening titles and I laughed a lot. It just looks daft and a lot of fun. I mean it's about a bakery for crying out loud. It's one of the more simple premises I've come across anyway. I think I'm going to enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment