Saturday 5 December 2009

“Dad” Comics, DoodlePlanet and Christmas Cards

I thought it would be fitting at this time to upload some of the personal things I am currently working on, as so far I’ve just been talking about work that I am doing for other people.

First of all, something I started over a month ago were plans for a mini-series, or online comic, simply called “Dad”. The strips have no real storyline, but instead represent moments or conversations that I have had with my dad over the last (nearly) twenty-one years. My father and I have always had a very strange relationship, in that we are alike in so many ways, and can sometimes have these great bonding sessions, whilst at the same time criticising and resenting each other; myself for the lack of attention he showed me as a child, my dad because of the lack of interest I show in having a normal life.

In many ways I admire and look up to him, but at the same time I often wish he were a different person. As I said, it’s a very odd relationship. The aim of these comics is not to show either of us in a bad light, but just to express the odd and infrequent moments we share together. And these are real moments the way I remember them.

The first comic I drew is a total mess, but only for the sake of it being the thumbnails for a much more detailed comic. Hopefully, if I see my dad enough, I will have enough material to turn this idea into a daily or weekly online comic.

"Dad - 20 years of Outfits" can be read here:

Page 1

Page 2


Twice in the last two months I have attended a local event known as DoodlePlanet, set up by Compulsive Scribbler. The premise of the event is just to let people come in, have some drinks and doodle on large boards of canvas left lying around the place. It happens maybe once or twice a month at Telford’s Warehouse in Chester, and once at the Glyndwr Student’s Guild.

It’s such great fun and a good way to get non-artists drawing, as I found when I took my boyfriend, Dan, along and he really enjoyed it.

Poor Dan didn’t have time to finish his psychedelic illustration because he arrived late…

... whilst I spent the night trying to paint something decent with watercolours. I came up with my own version of Ariel and Flounder from Disney’s The Little Mermaid.

The next DoodlePlanet in on December 17th, again at Telford’s Warehouse, and everyone is welcome to come along. After all, it’s a Christmas party too!

And speaking of Christmas, I have been working on a design for a Christmas card that I would like to produce this year for my friends and family. At the moment the line-art still needs a clean up, then I need to shrink it down and apply several copies to a sheet of A3 or A2 acetate so that I can screen-print more than one card at a time. Only trouble is I’m not sure how to do that. I’m not so good with photocopiers.

The design features two characters from a holiday card series I am inventing called Minky Pinky (don’t even ask where the name came from, as I’m not too sure myself). I’ll hopefully have more cards designed for birthdays, Easter, Valentine’s Day, and so on.

So there’s a chance now I wont have much to say until after the holidays. If that be the case, have a merry Christmas and a happy new year from me!

No comments:

Post a Comment