Thursday 4 February 2010

Wrexham in Bloom - Week One

Today we were given yet another project. I believe this culmination of projects and commissions is going to destroy me.

The first thing I noticed was that half the group already had the brief, and half of the group didn't. I was in the half that didn't, which means I have missed a meeting somewhere that I didn't know about. Lack of communication strikes again.

A woman called Claire came to visit us from the local council to ask us to come up with a promotional concept to aid this year's Wrexham in Bloom campaign, an annual competition that encourages the community to look after our environment. So far Wrexham has won the Silver gilt, but this year they hope that with our help we can win the Gold gilt.

It's all very exciting, even if it is unpaid and added pressure. But I'm going to endeavor to give it a go, starting with this blog (ta da! In order to pass we have to keep an up-to-date journal).

Claire explained to us that the two themes for this year's campaign are centered "around the Pontcysyllte (no I don't know how it's pronounced either) World Heritage site and the industrial archaeology of the Dee Valley". Along the route are going to be battery collection points, as the Government is now trying to organise the recycling process more by giving us seperate crates for batteries. Also, the campaign hopes to encourage the communities to start planting Bee-friendly plants, in order to attract our fat, fuzzy friends back. So we have been asked to link these two themes and create something along the lines of Battery Bees, or Bee Battery (sounds like bug abuse).

The idea, to me, sounds very cute, and I love recycling (see previous post) so I'm all for it. The first point I want to make about the council is their need for a new "Michael" character. I like the whole "Recycle with Michael" slogan, it's catchy. But as Claire pointed out, kids love the character, teenagers hate him. I think he needs a makeover to make him more accessable to a wider range of people. Teenagers and young adults are a tough audience, and I'm afraid "Michael", to me, looks too 90's with his baseball cap, baggy pants and freckles (ironically I think he was invented in the 00's).

Funnily enough, there's another recycler called Michael. I think his style is much more age-friendly. Still kind of aimed at children, but the art-style is far more interesting, and the fact that he is a superhero who uses recycled items as his armour is an intriguing little quirk.



The colour scheme of the WCBC recycling posters/leaflets etc. also needs retouching in my opinion. Green is very typical of environmental posters and, unless it's combined with an equally or more catchy colour, it can be very droll and unattractive. I think the advertising pieces need redesigning.

As well as those two issues I am also going to aim to come up with something original of my own! So it's research time.

Before I go I need to make a point though. I think the reason (especially in my area) that people aren't so thrilled about recycling is the fact that the bin-men are so careless and useless. Countless times they have not turned up, left rubbish behind or broken our boxes by just chucking them back onto the pavement. When you live in a house as full of people and packaging as mine, we need regularly de-binning! Or better yet, a local recycling point. Having to drive all the way to Tesco in Wrexham is such an inconvenience. Thanks to our rubbish bin-men (see what I did there?) we often end up burning most of our paper, card, fabrics, etc, which otherwise could be recycled!

Do you recycle? How do you feel about the facilities in your area? And if you don't recycle, why not?

Think about it.

Until next time, peace and love!

No comments:

Post a Comment