Friday 11 March 2011

"We'll give 'em to Rango!"


I try to avoid writing film reviews anymore, only because it takes up quite a lot of my time (something that takes you five minutes to read could take me two hours to write and edit, only because I’m so anal about spelling, grammar, etc.)

But I really couldn’t miss the chance to write a quick review (or urgent recommendation) about “Rango”. As always, watch out for possible spoilers…

You may or may not have heard about this unusual movie, and that’s why I’m here to tell you “for the love of GOD watch this movie!”

The sad fact is that it isn’t Disney, it isn’t Pixar, it isn’t Dreamworks, and that means that not many people are apt to give it a shot. This is a film all of it’s own, something you’ve never seen before, a mental mindfuck, but a gloriously-rendered one that rips of your head off and glues it back on upside down.

It tells the story of a Chameleon with an identity crisis, who finds himself in the remote desert town of Dirt, where he adapts the persona Rango: a gun-toting hero. He is quickly made Sheriff of Dirt and given the responsibility of looking for their water supply, which has been vanishing mysteriously.

In the meantime - through high-speed bat chases featuring a hilarious rendition of “The Ride of the Valkyries”, insane dream sequences featuring a CGI Clint Eastwood (I think), and madcap theatrical performances - Rango falls for the deadpan, no-nonsense Beans, and comes face to face with Rattlesnake Jake… seriously, this is the most badass friggin’ snake villain ever! Suck it, Jafar. He has a Gatling Gun for a tail.


I think the reason this film works so well is that, by usual standards, it doesn’t work at all. The characters are ugly, the setting murky and miserable, the story unheard of… but from a storyteller/character designer’s perspective, this movie is perfect.

The characters, those weird, wonderful freaky looking animals are so beautifully crafted! Every one of them looks and acts completely different. It features some of the most amazing character designs I’ve ever seen, and this is coming from someone who isn’t exactly fond of drawing animals.

The cinematography is astounding, and often so realistic I had to remind myself it was animated. But what can you expect from the people that worked on Pirates of the Caribbean? Director Gor Verbinski really knows how to make thrilling movies, that’s for true.

The voice acting in this movie really brought out something special in each character: Johnny Depp as Rango was his usual charming, quirky self. Isla Fisher struck a chord with me, as Beans was unexpectedly funny, while still being a pretty tough female. But by far the best voice award has to go to Bill Nighy as Rattlesnake Jake. He gave me “slithers” down my spine.

Apologies for the above pun.

And finally, the music… what can I say really? Hans Zimmer is a leg-end. Just listen to this example. I love it. Gives you a good idea of the rest of the soundtrack. Fast and fun!

Saying that however, I feel very strongly that this film should not be aimed and marketed at kids, because it is so much more than just a typical kid’s cartoon. It’s made by people who love and appreciate great animation, great characters, great music and classic storytelling with a twist. And if it doesn’t win Oscar for best animated film next year, I will literally scream, because I really don’t think it can be topped in 2011 (Christ, what have we got to look forward to with “Rio” and “Hop”?)

Anyway go see Rango, enjoy it, agree with me, and come back and tell me I was right!

No comments:

Post a Comment