Sunday 20 March 2011

Shouldn't really be playing games, buuuut...

Having a blog is handy for bragging about things, sharing your dirtiest laundry with the world and spreading juicy rumors like “I think my brother is gay because he’s currently dancing around in my sister’s silky green underwear…”

But having a blog is also a great way to tell people how awesome things are: like my boyfriend, for example.

My wonderful, selfless Dan has gone and spent a whoppingly unnecessary amount on me for our two-year anniversary. Whilst most women will mope over jewellery, clothes and other boring things, Dan has gone a bought me a 3DS!

Now, don’t get me wrong, I love him to bits anyway, and I’d still be with him without an anniversary present. The reason I feel the need to sing about this is because of the sweet way he was going to surprise me, and because considering we’re both trying to save up for a trip to New Zealand, this is a pretty big commitment. And for me, it’s also the first time I’ve ever had a brand new console bought for me (my dad used to nick second-hand consoles from his squaddie mates. I’m seriously not kidding).

So it may sound materialistic and shit, but I couldn’t really care less. It’s no different from some ditzy bitch drooling over a diamond ring. We’re both really looking forward to Thursday now, for the midnight launch of the 3DS, and the Friday, when we’ll spend all day playing on them.

Now I have to come up with something extra special for Dan, with very little money. And if I can’t return the favour this year, then I will someday, when I’m loaded…

And so dear friends, this week I leave you with this image:


Ignoring the obvious spelling errors there, you read right, fellow nerds. A Professor Layton and Phoenix Wright crossover... I don’t think I’ve ever been so excited about a game, including Phantom Hourglass. I literally started shaking.

I mean the only thing that could beat this would be Legend of Zelda meets Another Code, with Kyle Hyde thrown in for good measure, vs. Layton PHD and Ace Attorney! It’d be some kind of badass mystery/puzzle-solving, action, adventure, save the Princess, “j’accuse!” hybrid…

I’m getting ahead of myself though (assuming you understood anything of what I just said). For the moment, Layton vs. Wright is set for a Japanese release only. However, I hold faith that America and the UK will get their hands on the game eventually, seeing as how popular the two franchises are here in the West. If not, I’ll learn Japanese just to play it.

Personally, I’m a much bigger fan of Phoenix Wright; it’s witty dialogue, absurd mysteries (ghosts as murderers?!) and insanely likeable characters are what I keep returning for. The banter between Nick and Maya always makes me laugh. However, I’ve recently warmed up to Layton too, having completed Curious Village after about four years. I love the endless puzzles and I adore the animation, and whilst I often want to kick Luke-cockney-brat-Triton in the teeth, the Professor himself is pretty damn cool.

This crossover also means that, for the first time ever, Phoenix Wright is going to be fully animated and talking! Having spent the last decade or so in Link-like silence, I’m really excited about this.

So yeah, that’s my geek-out-of-the-week.

Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment