Monday 8 March 2010

Grand Entrance

This is the unofficial opening of my Tattoo blog, the aptly named "Pins and Needles". Here I will be posting my musings about the body-mod world, some of my own designs, and I will also be taking on commissions by request, in order to polish my portfolio in my long-term attempt to gain an apprenticeship at a real Tattoo and Piercing studio.

I will also be collaborating with friends and networking in order to get myself out and about in the world more, starting with this years Liverpool Tattoo Convention on the 19th and 20th of June. I'm really looking forward to it and it should be a great eye-opener.

My interest in tattoos and piercings goes back as far as I can remember. I had my ears pierced when I was seven, and I thought I was the bees knees. I would bug my Dad and Granddad about their many tattoos, and my Dad would tell me I was never having one.

Then in high school I got into Rock music and Goth culture. I found that getting pierced was a safer alternative to self-harm (cliche, I know) and it also looked friggin cool. I also started designing my own tats when I was fourteen. I currently have eleven piercings including my lip, nipple, tragus and anti-tragus. I have many more planned for this year.

Then I hit eighteen and it was time to get a tattoo... but being an artist myself I became very fussy about what I wanted where, and who I wanted to do it. Money was also an issue. Now I'm a bit older, and I have two designs ready for the gun, and another in the making.

I guess it's not a surprise, but it was definitely Kat Von D and LA Ink that got me back into Tattoos. About a year ago I was at my boyfriend's house, sitting with his mum and watching Discovery Real Time. I thought the show was great, really gave you an insight into this fascinating world of body-mod. I love the passion that each of the artists have for their work and the way they heal people with their fantastic tattoos, and I remember when I used to feel that way, but I lost it. Now I have something to work hard for again.

I've been researching and reading up about tattoos and piercings, the processes, artists, downfalls, pros and cons for a good solid few months now. I penned three essays about the subject in University, one that got a B+, and a documentary that recieved the highest mark, an A+.

But of course, research doesn't stop at watching LA and Miami Ink, and reading Skindeep and High Voltage. There are plenty of websites and tattoo blogs out there that give great insight into this weird world, but the best "education" I had was watching Sean of Independent Tattoos doing my boyfriend's mum's tattoo. That was the moment I thought "I could do this". And I'm not the kind of person who has a lot of faith in myself, so this surprised me.

I know more than anyone that I have a lot of work and improving to do. Unlike most tattooists, I haven't been doing it since my teens. I have been drawing, but mostly cartoons, and I need to improve my life-drawing, animal and colour skills. I also need to build up a shit-hot portfolio.

So this is the blog I will be keeping in order to help me do that. Here are some of the great sources I've come across so far:

+Tattoosday UK - Fantastic blog/website that gives details of UK tattoo events, advice on getting tats and general news and links from around the world. Really cool stuff.
+London Tattoo Convention (24th-26th Sept) - Another convention that sounds bigger and nastier. I would love to go to this, but Liverpool is closer and cheaper. However, keeping it in mind. Check it out.
+Aces High Tattoo Studio - Unfortunately it looks like their official website is down, but I've been oggling the work at this place for some time. The artists are amazing, and I've seen some of their work on my mates. So I'm hoping they will be able to do my first tattoo for me.
+How to become a Successful Tattoo Artist - Not the best place on the web to go look for advice, but the tips they give are pretty handy. This is the first website I came across when I was pondering the idea of being a tattooist.
+The Tattoo Sourcebook - I got this for my birthday last year. Great value for money, it's a fantastic collection of tattoo designs for practicing artists, or just someone who wants a design. It also includes a brief history of tattoos and teaches you how to combine some of your favourite designs into something original for yourself.
+Tattoo Jam - Yet another huge convention in Doncaster. Sounds sweet, might give it a whirl this year, if I can afford it!

There are many other sources I've come across, so keep an eye on my links and reading list sections. And please, wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment