Wednesday 17 March 2010

Photoshoot with Tess Beatty

I'm a funny looking thing, I think. At least I was in high school, one of the reasons I wasn't very popular. It sounds shallow but I'm always trying to make myself look better, whether it's by buying the latest Max Factor foundation, wearing a corset that takes my waist down to 22 inches, or dieting like a maniac in time for summer.

So I jumped at the chance to model for a photographer whose pictures seemed flawless and dreamy. I came across Tess's Photography on Facebook, as you do, and I was impressed by what I saw. She works in colour, but converts to black and white and mixes in small elements of colour for some striking portrait photos. I love the smokey edging effect she uses, and the way she is able to express so much about her models through the poses, outfits and environments they are in. So I got in touch with her about working with me on a mini-project for my parent's wedding anniversary (shh! It's a secret!)

When she advertised for models to help with her university work I was only too happy to help her out, secretly hoping for a confidence boost too.

Well, for obvious copyright reasons I can't reproduce the photos, but you can see the results for yourself here.

For the shoot I was told to just be myself and bring a few items of clothing I would feel comfortable it. Of course, I had to wear my Iron Fist hoodie and mermaid vest because they just scream "I'm a struggling, dopey art student dammit!"

But I also decided I wanted to try out a more elegant, sexy look, so I took along a silver top I'd just bought from USC. It's very tight-fitting and pirate-esque, but with a pair of heels it made me look sophisticated as well as saucy.

We did the shoot at St. Giles' Church in Wrexham at my suggestion.


I love that place. Beautiful, gothic and most of all, peaceful. It was my sanctuary during college (I know, sounds emo doesn't it?)

When I saw the photos I was so pleased, found them very flattering and felt my self-esteem jump up a few notches. She's made me look, dare I say, very pretty. Whether that's a filter on the camera, airbrushing or just the way we worked together, it doesn't matter to me. I bought £42-worth and will be working with her again.

Seriously, check out her stuff. Very friendly, funny and open to suggestions. She brought along her partner, Matt, to help, also a photographer and fellow Glyndwr student. Both of them were just so nice and they made me feel very calm and good about myself during the shoot.

So thanks guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment