Friday 1 April 2011

Character Designage!: Blue and Dom

Wow, it appears I may have something relevant to talk about for once: my artwork!

I don't usually post my pictures for fear of theives, bandits and ruffians making off with my goods, but then again, I need to get my work out there somehow.

Bluey and Dominic are two characters I came up with when I was about fourteen, as a way to vent my teen-angst. Since then, I haven't really been able to put them down, because I love them so.

Dominic is shy, sweet, adorable, and always looks ill. He's a bit of a pervert too, as his hormones generally run his life. Girls love him, women want to mother him, guys want to kick his pathetic arse. Oh, and he's a yanky-doodle, because I love Californian surfer dudes :)

Bluey on the other hand is his polar opposite; loud, obnoxious, promiscuous as hell (kind of a lovable slut), and a bit of a tough cookie. But underneath she can be nice sometimes, and she's ferociously loyal, unlike Dom who's cheated once or twice.

The pair are best mates and get up to all sorts of shenanigans, though I can't think of any off the top of my head... except an old Legend of Zelda Cosplay comic that I'm going to re-boot at some point.

Anyway, there's a brief description of them both. Enjoy the doodles:







You'll have noticed there's only one page for Dom, and that's because this is basically everything I've done today. More Dom to follow, and also I'll be designing tattoos for them both.

The idea behind these character sheets is to give me a solid (or thereabouts) basis for them when I'm drawing them in comics and illustrations. It also helps me get to know them a bit better, since they've been on the shelf for a while. Anyhoo, as you can see I like to play around with shapes: Blue is mostly soft shapes and curves, because she's so laid-back and fancy free. Meanwhile, Dom is made up of straight lines and angles, because he's rigid as hell and always stressed... aha! See what I did there? Always gotta think about these things in character design.

The whole shapes idea also helps to emphasize the opposites between the pair, and also the size difference (Dom is a good head taller than Bluey-the-shortarse).

*sigh* How I love character design! :) I'll post some more soon, and hopefully I'll soon have some of my other comic characters Morgue, Gor and Demon Bob. Imagine that...

1 comment: