Tuesday 7 September 2010

Book Review: Tattoo Mystique – Angelique Houtkamp

As another small review, I thought I’d put in a mention for this colourful little book, a collection of works by Dutch tattooist Angelique Houtkamp. I first read about this in Skin Deep but (once again) have only just gotten around to checking it out.


Tattoo Mystique is second in a line of books by this incredibly recognizable artist. The first, Tattoo Darling, is still on my to-buy list, as is her newest collection, a book of black and white linedrawings for the creative enthusiast to use as he/she pleases. This I love, as it’s similar to a project I am working on.

Angelique is a master in her interpretation of vintage tattoo designs and pin-up girls, and her fashionably freaky little ladies are plastered all over this book. They are her specialty, and one of the many reasons people go to her is that (for a fee) she will design you a unique tattoo all of your own.

The book is jam-packed with her drawings, and they are stunning. She paints in watercolours, sticking to the theme of old-school sailor designs and often a limited colour palette, yet her work is fresh and inspiring.

The only downside to this book is its shortness. Whilst it opens, like Kat Von D’s "High Voltage Tattoo", with an introduction by a friend, and includes an interview with the artist herself, there is very little written about her. I would have loved to have read a piece from her point of view, although she does tell us a lot in her interview. Her love for Holland, where she lives, and how she describes waking up and starting her day around noon, riding her bicycle by the river and hanging out with her friends… it was a beautiful vision that left me longing for the kind of freedom that comes with being a well-established artist.

But until then, I’ll stick with longing to be tattooed by the Madame herself. This book is well worth the pennies.

You can see some of Angelique’s work on her official website, Salon Serpent, where you can also sign up to her monthly newsletter! Also, take a glimpse at her "Projects" page and see what you think of the "Babyskulls". Then take a look at these painted Ballerina arms (thanks to Tattoosday UK)... they are basically what I was trying to achieve with my "Bookjacket" brief last year, only a thousand times better. Perhaps I will try again one day, as I think these tattooed plaster body parts make gorgeous ornaments for lovers of the macabre and bizarre.

Until next time, keep your hands dirty!

No comments:

Post a Comment