Tuesday 7 September 2010

Ich bin (noch) ein Student

It’s that time of the year again: a month before I start back at University and I start to panic because nary a thing has been done. Not only that, but a week after I go back I’m off to America for a fortnight + seven days. So you can understand my grousing.

But all is not lost. I still have a month. And when I really think about it, they haven’t actually asked us to do much over the summer. Mainly gather research and formulate ideas.

As I’ve come to understand it, our third year is made up of four areas:

1. a 5000 word Dissertation
2. negotiated study projects
3. our own professional practice
4. research, research, research!

It doesn’t sound like much, but I’m not convinced. However, I’m going to try and make this year fun at least. I have more control over my projects and therefore more interest in them.

My dissertation has an introduction and a basic outline, with the (working) title “Tattoos: The Ostracized Art-Form” or “How has Tattooing influenced, or been influenced by, modern art, and in turn how has it developed into an art-form of its own?”

Wordy, no?

My negotiated study projects I have narrowed down to several project ideas:

1. a book of Tattoo flash, also known as Tattoo-a-day-for-100-days (or more)
2. a documentary, mainly to keep my boyfriend busy, but also to examine the insanity of what it is to be an art student
3. a collection of mini-comics, a web-comic, an iPhone app/comic, OR a full graphic novel
4. a full topical book in comic format, inspired by the works of Scott McCloud
5. screen-printed works to sell on Etsy
6. a series of paintings in story sequence, inspired partly by Max Ernst’s “Collage Novel", and also by a collection of paintings I spotted in Liverpool a few months ago...





They are by an artist called Bone Daddy. Although they don’t necessarily share a storyline, they do hint at the story behind each of the tattooees, and serve to make you wonder what kind of people they might be. I thought that was a great idea. And the series of paintings project would allow me to combine three of the things I love: storytelling, painting and tattoos.

So once I’ve selected which of the negotiated study projects I am going to pursue, I will more or less chuck the rest of the ideas in with my professional practice. Currently I only have two goals for my PDP: sell myself (not literally) and enter competitions, the first of which is this year’s Manga Jiman competition (cheers to Sarah from my class for the heads up!).

Every year or so, the Japanese Embassy in the UK hold this competition open to residents over 14, hand them a theme and a limit of 6 to 8 pages, and ask them to draw a manga. I attempted to enter it in 2008, but my procrastination got the better of me.

This year I’m more determined. Not only because it would look good in my PDP, but also because the theme is “nami” or “wave”, in english. It’s given me some good ideas, but obviously I won’t mention them here for fear of someone stealing them…

However I will post invisible updates.

So there’s my third year planned. Thought I’d also bring this up: Tattoosday UK recently posted a piece about artist Min Jeong Seo, and her porcelain casts of Ballerina arms, painted to resemble fully tattooed sleeves. This is essentially what I was trying to do last year with my (God awful) “Bookjacket” brief, and I only wish this post had arrived sooner!

No comments:

Post a Comment