Wednesday 15 September 2010

Leonardo Da Flake

If I could go back in time, or bring the past forwards, Leonardo Da Vinci is the person who I (and most likely many others) would have sought out to be my Mentor. How I long for a Mentor! His eccentricities and endless drawings and notes, to me, made him seem like some sort of unreachable God or Alien.

So I was quite surprised to read, in this article, that he was an unstoppable procrastinator, not unlike myself. And while I spend all my time procrastinating and wishing I were dead, he managed to do it with some style. And he still sounds awesome.

Have a read of the article and see how you feel afterwards. Do you conform like the rest of the World? Hitting deadlines on time, rushing things that are supposedly "important", but in the long run do not matter? (Like a degree in comics, when you want to be a Tattooist... *cough*)

This quote from the article suggests imperfection is the right way to go about it:

"Productive mediocrity requires discipline of an ordinary kind. It is safe and threatens no one. Nothing will be changed by mediocrity; mediocrity is completely predictable. It doesn't make the powerful and self-satisfied feel insecure. It doesn't require freedom, because it doesn't do anything unexpected. Mediocrity is the opposite of what we call "genius." Mediocrity gets perfectly mundane things done on time. But genius is uncontrolled and uncontrollable. You cannot produce a work of genius according to a schedule or an outline. As Leonardo knew, it happens through random insights resulting from unforeseen combinations. Genius is inherently outside the realm of known disciplines and linear career paths. Mediocrity does exactly what it's told, like the docile factory workers envisioned by Frederick Winslow Taylor."

After all, why rush to finish something you hate on time, when you can spend years doing something you love...

Personally, I hope I grow up to be like that mad Italian Geezer!

No comments:

Post a Comment