Tuesday 20 April 2010

Assessment Harassment should be a Criminal Offence

So I’ve just gotten back to Uni after the Easter holidays (ours are three weeks long, however we spend much of it drunk off our student faces) and lo and behold, I’ve hurt myself again.

Apparently we were given three new briefs before Easter to work on. Now, I’m not gonna defend myself but when I’m off ill and I ask two people if we’ve had any new briefs, and they say no, I’m entitled to believe them and not worry about it. Which is what I did, hence why I never knew about the stupid briefs!

Shame though because they sound pretty interesting. Unfortunately, I’m still catching up on the work from last semester! My finger is lodged firmly up my pooper and it just won’t come out (sorry about the image…)

But honestly, I think prioritizing the BBC project before my Uni work was the worst thing I could possibly do. I mean sure I made a lot of money, but I’m risking another referral, or worse: getting kicked out! Daddy would love that.

When will I learn? Seriously, I’m asking you!

Anyway I took some advice and started making an assessment checklist. We usually get it about a fortnight before the assessments but I needed one now. Here’s how I’ve got it all figured out:

Jem’s Assessment Checklist

Semester 1 Briefs


1. Narrative
2. Stranger than Fiction
3. Journal Article
4. Documentary

Semester 2 Briefs

5. Bookjacket
• 3D
• Digital
• Traditional
• Printmaking
6. Toys
7. Cycling in London
8. Wrexham in Bloom

Semester 3 Briefs

9. Music as Product
10. Negotiated
11. Dissertation Proposal

PDP

12. Blogs (Artist’s Journal, With A Face Like Mine, Pins and Needles)
13. Mabinogi
14. Research Folder
15. Personal Sketchbooks
16. Tattoos

To be perfectly honest it doesn’t look as bad if I ignore the PDP section, for which there are no rules. I think my PDP is ok. The Mabinogi will certainly snazz it up a bit (note to self: print off Mabinogi pics on posh paper).

The Narrative brief is practically done, I just need to experiment with it a bit, change some panels, have some fun. The Stranger than Fiction comic needs redoing, but that’ll take me less than a day, plus some experiments for that. As for the Journal Article and Documentary, those are both in the bag already (got a B and an A+ for those, go fig).

Eh… onto semester 2. The Bookjacket brief is barely off the ground. I have the basic final idea, but not enough development. Also, I gotta finish my 3D pieces – an entire cast of my arm painted with Spider tattoos, a latex spider and my resin-dipped Tarantula Mandy, God rest her tiny soul. That should be fun. Also gotta mock-up something for the digital workshop, but that will literally take a me a few hours, since I’m now a whizz at Photoshop (Hey, my eyes are bleeding). Haven’t had the trad. or print workshops yet, so I’ll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Toys brief is pretty much done once I paint and photograph the final piece (note to self: speak to that photography tutor guy).

Wrexham in Bloom and Cycling in London = Death. Here I am stuck because I’m drawing blanks for both. Not literally, because then at least I would be doing something! The Wrexham in Bloom brief is (hopefully) gonna wind up being a ‘60’s Flower Power style poster, and the Cycling in London one will include some kind of pin-up girl (SEX SELLS)! I’m pretty sure I’ve missed the deadline for both of them but I suppose as long as I present the work at the assessments I’ll get some kind of mark.

As for the latest briefs, I have to do the Negotiated brief for this Friday. Thank God it’s only research and writing; the dissertation one wont take me long, as I’ve been writing down my dissertation ideas for months; and finally, the Music as Product one I am looking forward to, as it fits perfectly with my self-made Taste the Blood album cover, which I’ve been planning for ages. Plus I can get some kick-ass merchandise made for them to hand out at their gigs, hence helping me on my way to become the next great album cover designer (and tattooist, and comic artist, and graphic designer, and writer, and biker…) after Alex Pardee and that guy who draws Eddie for Iron Maiden. Derek Riggs. Who, by the way, is the topic of this week’s Quote of the Week:

“Riggs admitted to Metal Hammer magazine that he was self-taught in his art. He also stated that he had attended art school, but that he was expelled, as they "didn't know much about illustration anyway". Describing art schools in general, Riggs told Metal Hammer that they are "geared towards churning out people to fit into artistic pigeonholes".” Cheers Wikipedia.

Brilliant.

So all in all… I can hopefully pass. How is everyone else doing with their work?

The lesson here kids is: Don’t wish to be like me when you grow up.

2 comments:

  1. Derek Riggs quote there about art schools is perfect.

    *Might* have to steal it sometime... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. not encouraging you to miss assignments at all but they say the most talented are drop outs! Anyway tutors should get organised - they should do what I do with A Level - print a copy of the brief for each student (they do still have class lists at Uni), write the student name on the top of each then if they have any left they know who hasn't had a copy. Easy. So in summary it's the tutors fault ;-)

    ReplyDelete