Friday 23 April 2010

Wrexham in Bloom - Week Twelve

“Today we were given yet another project. I believe this culmination of projects and commissions is going to destroy me.” Me, three months ago.

Everyone has completed the Wrexham in Bloom brief. EVERYONE!

And I’m stuck on my own, a loser, like last year’s Critical Studies group project, for which I had no stinking group.

I thought I was doing so well this year. I have many of the projects started, unfinished, but started… but this Wrexham in Bloom brief? It’s just unnecessary hassle.

I’m on a comics course for crying out loud. We did two comics at the beginning of the year, and I really got into them, and now we’re stuck doing posters and packaging. If I wanted to do stuff like this I would’ve gone on the graphics course. But I’ve already done a graphics course in college and I didn’t enjoy it.

So anyway, where am I?

The deadline is passed and I have nothing. My theory is to just submit something, anything, for the assessments. Plus I have this blog I suppose. But seriously, this is the one brief that is really bringing me down because despite stacks of research I have no interest in it. It’s leaflets, posters, packaging about bees and batteries. It’s boring.

I mean I could make it fun, but all the fun has gone out of me this year. I’m fed up of doing posters about toys and cycling. It’s tedious.

I knew in the first year that Graphic Novels is not the right direction for me. I mean I’d like to publish one someday, but it’s a long hard process and I’m impatient. Instead I am now dedicating myself to working with Tattoos, designing them for people, as a Tattooist must work with their client in much the same way a graphic designer must work with his/hers. And with Tattoo designs, and all other client-related work I have never had a problem, because they trust me to deliver.

I didn’t come on this course to learn how to work for people. I KNOW how to work for people. BBC Wales just paid me an impressive wage for some illustrations for their Mabinogi website, and I’ve been working with them successfully for months, I KNOW how to work for a client. And when I asked if that commission could replace this darn thing I was told no. I still need to know how to work for the council.

So now, I have nothing. I will do the poster, but I am leaving this module to the Gods, because it is my lowest priority. I’ve already missed the deadline, I don’t see the point in missing the deadline for my other more interesting projects, ie: Music as Product, which I am working myself silly for because it means I can get some snazzy album artwork done for my boyfriend’s Metal band, Taste the Blood.

Now that’s more like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment