Thursday 29 April 2010

Dan’s Reel Reviews (no, it’s not a spelling error)

I love my boyfriend enough to encourage him on his sometimes strange ideas, and not to bullshit him if I think he’s full of hot air. But when he came to me spouting notions of his own radio show (in due time) I did think it was a brilliant idea.

In advance Daniel, I know you won’t mind me telling your life story, but I’ll warn you about it anyway.

Dan left Glyndwr University a few years ago with a well-earned degree in Film Making. However, there were no films to be made, and no job for him. So since then he has been puttering around, waiting for something to happen, and apart from a few undeveloped film ideas (Queers of War being my favourite) he has done nothing to further his dream of becoming a film maker.

Until now.

I approached his radio show with the same enthusiasm as his other ideas, but I really think this one has a lot of potential. Dan has a natural performing spirit about him, always the centre of attention. If he’d tried it, he probably could have gotten into acting.

His podcast, named Dan’s Reel Reviews, allows him to do what he loves, which is watch loads of films, then pick them apart like any good critic. Although there are times when we do not always agree on what makes a good film, I do admire his reasoning, and he has a great radio voice.

This week marks the second week of his podcast, which you can listen to here. He reviews a recent cinema release (which is great because I get to go see more films), a recent DVD release and a “Hidden Gem”, which is a genre movie suggested by his listeners every week.

The upcoming show will feature a review of Date Night, Avatar and As Good As It Gets.

I am very proud of him, and will be standing by, making sure he does it each week and doesn’t let it fall into disrepair. However, I am also his biggest critic and am constantly giving him tips on how to improve. So no, I’m not biased.

Well… except he did let me do the logo for his group on facebook…


You may call this blog shoddy advertising, but I’m not being paid. However, he’ll probably treat me to the cinema this weekend!

Hell I may as well throw in a last bit of self-advertisement! Here is the link to my own facebook group about my freelance work, on which you can contact me about commissions:

Jemima Lee – Freelance Artist

Shameless, I know!!

No comments:

Post a Comment